Most of us have camping appliances that use one-pound propane canisters, but those little devils can be awfully expensive! We save a ton of money by refilling those one-pound propane tanks from a 20-pound barbecue propane tank for less than a quarter of the cost of buying 1-pound tanks. It's simple and quick, and we'll show you how we do it.
DISCLAIMER: Working with propane is dangerous, as propane is a highly flammable and explosive gas. Do not try this at home. If you choose to do so, be sure to do so in a well ventilated area away from any spark or open flame. Check to make sure that refilling disposable propane bottles is legal in your jurisdiction.
Here is what we've found:
1. Federal regulations appear to be limited to DOT regulations related to the transportation of propane (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/5104 would be violated if refilling can be deemed "tampering" and the canister is subsequently transported). We have not found any federal regulations related to consumer refilling of propane canisters itself. Aside from these DOT regulations, all other regulations regarding propane handling appear to be promulgated at the state level. If someone can point to a specific title, chapter & section in federal code that contradicts this, we'd love to hear from you.
2. Using our home state of Utah as an example, the regulations appear in the Liquefied Petroleum Gas Act https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title53/Chapter7/53-7-P3.html . Within that act, section 53-7-308 states:
"A person may not engage in any of the following activities related to LPG unless the person has obtained an authorizing license or certification from the board:
(4) product activities, including the sale, transportation, dispensation, or storage of LPG in this state, except that a license or certification is not required for a person:
(b) when the product is stored, transferred, or used by the final consumer."
There is nothing that we have found in the Utah LPGA that prohibits consumers from refilling 1 lb. "disposable" propane canisters. We encourage others to do their own research into federal and their own state regulations to draw their own conclusions.
Filmed: July 28, 2019
FOR MORE INFORMATION
- DOZYANT Solid Brass Propane Refill Adapter https://amzn.to/30VrR8m
GET GRAND ADVENTURE STUFF
We've created some fun and quirky merchandise particularly for RV campers, including t-shirts, coffee mugs and more. Sales help to support Grand Adventure to keep bringing you outdoor adventure videos each and every week. Visit https://teespring.com/stores/grandadventure to browse our selection.
USE WHAT WE USE
We've opened a Grand Adventure store on Amazon! https://www.amazon.com/shop/GrandAdventure Unlike other Amazon shops, every single item you see in our store is hand picked from things we use ourselves in our own Grand Adventures, from RV stuff to our dogs and even photography and videography. We've tried it, we've tested it, and we can heartily recommend it. No random stuff or paid product placements.
It costs you no more to shop Amazon with us, but by shopping our store a portion of each sale goes to bringing you more and better Grand Adventure videos! Thank you for clicking through to give us a look!
- All music in this episode is open source and obtained from the YouTube Audio Library http://YouTube.com/audiolibrary, or licensed from Soundstripe http://SoundStripe.com.
Welcome to Grand Adventure, a YouTube channel that focuses on RV-centric outdoor activities including not only of course camping, but also mountain biking, hiking, kayaking, skiing and more, nearly always filmed in stunning 4K.
We're based in Salt Lake City, Utah, and invite you to come along as we travel all around the western U.S. My wife Patricia and I, and our dogs Zoe and Maggie are avid boondockers, so you'll seldom find us in RV parks or even dry campgrounds. Instead, we're usually camped in some of the most remote and beautiful spots that you could ever pull a travel trailer into. And unlike most other RV channels on YouTube, we're not RV dealers or full-timers -- we're weekend warriors just like you!
We'll provide tips and insight on equipping and maintaining your RV, trip planning and travel videos to make your next adventure a grand one indeed! So, subscribe to make sure that you catch every episode, and remember...life is nothing but a Grand Adventure!
CONNECT WITH US
Become one of our Grand Adventurers and subscribe to our YouTube channel!
Our website: http://GrandAdventure.tv
Like us! https://facebook.com/GrandAdventureRV/
Follow us! https://www.instagram.com/grand_adventure_rv/
Follow us! https://twitter.com/GrandAdventRV
Find us! https://www.rvillage.com/group/2781/grand-adventure